Water damage can be caused by various factors, both natural and man-made. Some of the most common causes are:
- Toilet or septic tank overflow. When a toilet is flushed, the human waste and water go into the septic tank. The tank capacity is finite, so when it fills up or becomes clogged, there is no place for the excess wastewater to go but back into the flooring and walls of your home.
- Water heater leaking or breaking. Water heaters are designed to heat water for use in your home. However, if the unit breaks due to faulty wiring or other problems, it can pour water onto your flooring and walls, seeping into any cracks or openings it finds along the way.
- Poorly constructed bathtubs and showers, and those requiring grout replacement, can allow water to seep through to the tile, causing mold and undesirable effects.
- Pipe or leaking pipes in the plumbing system. This applies both inside and outside your home. Inside your walls, this could be a pipe that has rusted through, allowing wastewater to ooze out and spread over the flooring of houses. Outside, it could be water piping under your home’s foundation that has rusted through due to age.
- Floods, heavy rains, hurricanes, and storm damage. A flood caused by many factors, including overflow from nearby rivers or streams, can cause flooding of your home. This can seep through openings in the flooring and walls of your home, causing water damage.
- Sprinkler breaks/busts. If your sprinkler system becomes clogged or a sprinkler malfunctions, it can cause water damage to homes. It might be broken parts on the sprinklers responsible for this, rather than the sprinkler heads themselves.
- Fire damage. The water used to extinguish fires can wreak havoc on your home, as well as your drinking water sources.
- Roof leaks or when gutters and roof drains become clogged, the additional water can cause significant damage.
No matter what the cause, it’s essential to take steps to prevent further damage and minimize the loss of property and possessions. As a property owner, it’s necessary to understand and guard against water damage if you want to avoid repeated problems and their costs.
For more info on the causes of water damage and ways to best handle the situation, feel free to contact us today.
Contact us today
At Austin Water Damage, we provide same-day emergency water damage restoration, repair, removal, extraction, drying, mitigation, and cleanup. No matter what kind of water damage you’ve experienced, big or small, residential or commercial, our skilled technicians can handle it all. You can call us 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, for expert water damage Austin assistance. Call Austin Water Damage. Our location is 2700 W Anderson Ln unit 730 in Austin, TX 78757. Here at Austin Water Damage, our phone is 512 647 1194.