What Does a Water Damage Restoration Company Do?
When you suffer a water emergency like flooding or a leak, you can count on water damage restoration companies to clean up the mess, inspect your property for damage, and carry out safe and accurate repairs. There are many factors that water restoration companies can deal with, but these are some of the most common:
- Through professional flood cleanup, quickly removing up to several thousand gallons of water from your property can significantly reduce damage caused by floods.
- Health and safety issues associated with mold detection, remediation, and removal
- Treatment with antimicrobials and other disinfectants following sewage cleanup
- The removal of furniture and other items contaminated with bacteria
- Depending on the extent of the damage, wet or dry carpets and wood floors
- Drying of documents and essential items such as photographs and letters can save necessary paperwork and cherished items
- Providing roofing, drywalling, and electrical wiring maintenance or repairs
What Are the Categories of Water Damage?
Water damage is classified into three distinct types, depending on the type of work required to restore your home and property:
Category 1 — Clean Water Damage
In this case, the damage is less severe. A broken pipe can lead to appliances not working or overflowing sinks.
Category 2 — Gray Water Damage
Water from toilets, sump pumps, and washing machines are usually the culprits in gray water damage, harming humans and pets. Therefore, disinfecting treatments are often included in the restoration.
Category 3 — Black Water Damage
Those who suffer damage in Category 3 can face serious health risks. A flood is a rising body of water caused by sewage, flooding, or sea or river water. Household items must be removed and disinfected during a cleaning.
What Should I Look for in a Water Damage Restoration Company?
Many restoration companies handle fire, water, and mold damage, as well as water damage. Some specialize exclusively in water damage restoration. Consider consulting with a company that’s knowledgeable in the relevant areas depending on your specific situation.
Assess the following characteristics when choosing a water damage restoration company:
In addition to providing 24/7 service, many companies offer fast response and immediate remediation in water damage. Choosing a company that receives you quickly and starts cleaning and repairing as soon as possible is a wise move.
The company needs to answer questions honestly and with knowledge throughout the restoration and cleanup process. It would be best if you asked for the contractor’s license, certifications, proof of insurance, and references as soon as possible, and the contractor should be able to explain what exactly led to any negative reviews you’ve found.