What Is Water Damage and Why Does It Happen?
Water damage is the result of water coming into contact with materials that it damages. It can be categorized as either external or internal and generally happens for one or more of the following reasons:
- Seepage through walls, floors and roofs due to poor construction and/or maintenance
- Sudden events like floods, hurricanes, bursts, overflows and leaks from appliances such as washing machines and dishwashers
- Slow wear-and-tear caused by water seeping through cracks in plumbing fixtures (“silent” leaks)
- Cesspools back up (not an issue in modern homes but still a concern in areas where cesspools are still used)
Signs of water damage
Some of the signs that can be seen in surfaces with water damage include dark spots, bubbling paint, peeling wallpaper, softening of wood and mildew growth. These are only some of the signs and for more, it’s best to call a professional inspection service.
How water damage can cause health problems
A hidden home risk associated with water damage is mold. Mold poses several health risks including allergic reactions in some people, asthma attacks, breathing difficulties and other symptoms typical of respiratory diseases.
To limit exposure to mold spores caused by flooding and water leakage, a person should leave a flooded building immediately and phone an emergency restoration company for help in managing the problem.
The mouldy area should be dry cleaned or removed for safety’s sake if health concerns have been brought up about an area because there could be chemicals from contents that might have been destroyed which would need special attention to take care of correctly.
Tips for preventing water damage to your home or business
It’s always advisable to take precautionary measures before water damage can occur. Here are some tips to help you do that:
- Paying regular attention to the appliances and fixtures in your home can make sure that leaks don’t go unnoticed for long
- Have a plumber check older plumbing fixtures at least once every year
- Make sure that roofing, walls, floors and other areas susceptible to water damage are well-maintained
- Inspect basements often for cracks where seepage might start
- Keep grassy areas around your foundation trimmed low; high grass will hold excess moisture
- Prevent trees from growing too close to buildings
- Avoid overloading electrical outlets so as not to cause malfunction
- Don’t let outdoor hoses hang loose and unattended – be sure to coil them back up after use
Who to call if water damage has occurred?
The best people to turn to in case of water damage are the professionals at Austin Water Damage. We have the tools, supplies and equipment needed to get your home back the way it was before flooding or leakage took place – preferably even better than how you left it!
Call us now for an evaluation of your property so we can get started right away. Don’t let time run out or else mold can start growing and cause serious health problems for you and your loved ones!
How Austin Water Damage can help
In most cases, we can restore your property back to how it was before water damage occurred. In the case of mold growth, we also offer vital assistance with regards to mold remediation and abatement.
Our technicians are extensively trained and well-equipped to take on any kind of water damage restoration project. We also use only the latest technology in our work such as infrared cameras, moisture detectors and electric probes to help us locate all areas of damage.
With over 25 years’ experience in this industry, we can assure you that nobody knows how to deal with your issue like we do – it’s what sets us apart from other service providers and makes us the obvious choice!
Austin Water Damage is best known for quality water damage restoration and repair services in West Lake Hills TX. There is a whole team of restoration experts available 24/7 for help, so don’t hesitate – call Austin Water Damage now!