Mold remediation is a process that involves removing molds from the surfaces of buildings. The process starts by identifying the source of water intrusion and fixing any leaks or faulty pipes. After this, an ozone generator can be used to kill mold spores on non-porous surfaces such as drywall, subfloors, carpeting, etc. Porous materials, such as wood flooring or upholstery, should be removed before being treated. Before reoccupying, you must allow the area to dry out completely.
Listed below are some tips for mold remediation.
- Ventilate the room – Mold and bacteria need water to grow. Proper ventilation allows moisture to escape your structure, keeping growth at a minimum. For example, an attic fan can help remove the humidity that causes mold to flourish.
- Discard porous materials that cannot be thoroughly cleaned or dry – Remove items such as rugs, drapes, and upholstered furniture. Clean them thoroughly and dry them in a hot, humid environment to kill any spores that might have been left behind.
- Clean the surfaces – Carefully wash walls and remove any wall coverings so you can clean or treat mold growths with a commercial remover or a mixture of bleach and water.
- Remove porous materials – If you have wood, drywall, or concrete floors that cannot be cleaned and dried thoroughly, it might be necessary to remove them. Until these materials are removed and treated, they can absorb moisture and promote mold growth.
- Clean all surfaces with a disinfectant cleaner – A thorough cleaning will help prevent the re-growth of mold spores that may remain on surfaces. For example, a mixture of bleach and water can remove mold growth from most hard surfaces except carpeting.
- Seek professional help – If you cannot handle the mold remediation process on your own, don’t be afraid to hire a professional mold remediation firm.
Mold remediation might be time-intensive, but it’s worth it when you consider the health risks associated with mold. For more valuable tips on mold remediation in Austin, feel free to contact us today.
At Austin Water Damage, we provide same-day emergency water damage restoration, repair, removal, extraction, drying, mitigation, and cleanup. No matter what kind of water damage you’ve experienced, big or small, residential or commercial, our skilled technicians can handle it all. You can call us 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, for expert water damage Austin assistance. Call Austin Water Damage. Our location is 2700 W Anderson Ln unit 730 in Austin, TX 78757. Here at Austin Water Damage, our phone is 512 647 1194.